Monday, April 25, 2011

A Vow, a poem by Wendy Cope.

Post 605 - With the royal wedding coming up later this week, a poem on the subject of marriage seemed most appropriate. So I thought immediately of Wendy Cope.

Cope was born in Kent in 1945 and studied History at St Hilda's College, Oxford. She trained as a teacher at Westminster College of Education, Oxford, and taught in primary schools in London from 1967 - 1986. She became Arts and Reviews editor for Contact, the Inner London Education Authority magazine, and continued to teach part-time, before becoming a freelance writer in 1986. She was television critic for The Spectator magazine until 1990. She received a Cholmondeley Award in 1987 and was awarded the Michael Braude Award for Light Verse (American Academy of Arts and Letters) in 1995.She was shortlisted for the Whitbread Poetry Award in 2001.

Cope is a Fellow of the Royal Society of Literature and currently lives in Winchester, England. In 1998 she was the listeners' choice in a BBC Radio 4 poll to succeed Ted Hughes as Poet Laureate. Her poetry is perhaps best known for its humor and wit. For example, Making Cocoa for Kingsley Amis takes up just four lines and captures the irreverent mood of her writing:
It was a dream I had last week
And some sort of record seemed vital.
I knew it wouldn’t be much of a poem,
But I love the title.

I think this would be a great poem for William and Kate to read to one another during the ceremony on Friday next.

A Vow by Wendy Cope.

I cannot promise never to be angry;
I cannot promise always to be kind.
You know what you are taking on, my darling –
It's only at the start that love is blind.
And yet I'm still the one you want to be with
And you're the one for me – of that I'm sure.
You are my closest friend, my favorite person,
The lover and the home I've waited for.
I cannot promise that I will deserve you
From this day on. I hope to pass that test.
I love you and I want to make you happy.
I promise I will do my very best.

3 comments:

One Woman's Thoughts said...

This poem is much more real and honest than most other vows I have ever read or heard.

john cotter said...

Yes, I thought so too.
Thanks for your comment.
John

Lisa Ray said...

My Name Lisa Ray, i want to thank Dr Madu for the spell he did for me after i lost my husband to another lady at his working place, Dr Madu cast a love spell for me and in 2 days my husband returned home to me and my kids with so much love,if you need his help!! You can contact him via email: maduutemple@gmail.com or add him on whats-app +2349038103368.